2019 Battle Royale Official Rules
1. Who can enter?
An act may be a band, solo or duo.
2. Are there other restrictions?
An individual may not compete in more than one act in any capacity. A musician cannot compete in both the Band Division and the Solo/Duo Division.
3. What is a band? What is a solo/duo
Band - any act with three or more musicians. Vocalists are counted as musicians for the purpose of this competition. Both electric and acoustic instruments are allowed.
Solo/Duo - any act with one or two musicians. Vocalists are counted as musicians for the purpose of this competition. Both electric and acoustic instruments are allowed.
Categories include: Talent Content, Songwriting\Arrangement Quality, Stage Presence, and Audience Approval.
1. Talent Content: Proficiency, Improvisation, Dynamics, Versatility, & Expression
2. Songwriting/Arrangement Quality: Originality, Lyrics, Accessibility, Orchestration, & Authenticity.
3. Stage Presence: Audience Interaction, Movement, Image, Fluidity, & Energy.
4. Audience Approval: Bring your fans because this is the category where you will be rated on how loud your audience cheers for you!
To reflect the relative importance of each category in the success of a band, a band's score in each category is weighted. The scores are as follows: the Talent Content is out of 25, SongWriting/Arrangement Quality is out of 25, Stage Presence is out of 25, and Audience Approval is the total decibel level divided by 4. Total possible score is 100.
SCORING SYSTEM FOR JUDGES
1. All categories are as previously stated.
2. Each judge will indicate their Score (a whole number between 1 and 5) in each sub-category and turn that information over to the scorekeeper.
3. The scorekeeper will tally the totals in each category for each act.
4. After all acts have been judged and each act's Score for each judge calculated, each act will then be ranked.
5. In the case of a tie, the scorekeeper shall refer to the decibel level category to determine the winner.
Staging and Equipment
Jasper Folk Music Festival volunteer committee will provide backline and sound. The setup on stage will include a drum kit with snare drum, amps, keyboards and mics. The backline will be based on your registration information. Drummers are welcome to bring their own cymbals and kick pedals. Keyboard players may (but are not required, we will provide) bring their own keyboards and stands.
Competitors are strongly discouraged from bringing their own amplifiers. Every effort will be made to provide suitable equipment.
Order of Appearance
The order of appearance of acts is random. The order will be decided at 8 p.m.